Thursday 12 January 2017

Such a Slogging knob

I did it... I was running ( in the voice of Forest Gump). I was dressed ready as I knew I had to go straight out to avoid the 10.00am rain.
I dropped Willis off at school wearing my new running trainers, to check they wouldn't chafe my feet and cause blisters. Quickly discovered I had put on the most ridiculous pair of socks, one was fine and the other was like rolling its way down my foot with each step. Needless to say, a quick change of socks was done before setting off. I figured I needed to be out of sight of the public as far as possible before beginning my run, so headed off for Chasewater. Made sure I was well past the high school too just in case.
Turned on the app to get started on my brisk walk warm up. I'm busy thinking about the route I need to take with the pram, meanwhile Doodlebean is blissfully asleep in the fresh air. Sounds idyllic eh?
Then my phone beeps to tell me I need to run for 1 minute. After a few seconds, my heart is beating out of my chest and I can barely breathe. I actually felt like I was a sack of shit slob jogging WTF, I was almost leaning on the pram. It's funny how long 1 minute can actually be. The next 90 seconds of walking was literally just enough to get my breath back before the app voice told me to start running again.

This time I'm trying desperately hard not to slob jog, thinking perhaps there's like a secret way to breathe through your arse hole as your running? Nose was dripping like a 3 year olds and then thankfully the app told me to walk again. I foolishly ran along the speed hump route, which was a bit daft and then I looked up to see that big ass hill - thought no way will I make that, so cut through past the wake boarding instead.
I noticed quite a few 'runners' in their fluorescent running gear as I'm slogging (half slob, half jog now) and I have the brilliant idea of missing the bumpy route and running round where they have just filled in the old duck pond- genius. I go onto my next 60 seconds of running, my heart is beating to the point where I actually felt like I was just about to pass out. Then time to walk again.

I have to ask you runners out there, is it normal for your whole head to feel tingly when you run?












160 BPM shows my heart attack and brain tingle




As I go onto the next 60 seconds of running, the app tells me I'm halfway - the lights, I can see the lights. Then I decide it's probably a good idea to start the route back towards home, this must look a bit barmy to any passers by. I run past an elderly couple and it suddenly dawns on me - I don't even look like any kind of 'runner'. I'm running like a knob, lacking proper running gear as I'm in a regular hoodie and leggings and I have a pram- I bet they think I'm like late for my bus or something.

My walk home was pleasantly satisfying as I had completed 'running day 1', I had missed the rain and I was lovely and warm. I had actually barely broken a sweat, just nearly had a heart attack instead. Doodlebean thoroughly enjoyed watching me through her eye lids too.

I have felt really proud of myself and tonight I have been and bought a fluorescent top ready to go running again tomorrow. I am hoping to look a lot less of a 'Slogging knob', hopefully the only way is onward and upward (just not hills).

Fitbit has told me I've done well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment